ULANBAATAR (Reuters) – Mongolia has temporarily suspended all KFC restaurants in the country to make an inquiry. 42 people were hospitalized and hundreds showed signs of food poisoning after eating at one of the fast food chains. The incident happened in Ulan Bator last week and was caused by poor internal hygiene checks, the city's professional inspection agency said, adding that 247 people reported symptoms of food poisoning such as diarrhea and vomiting.
Preliminary checks show that this was caused by the water supply of the restaurant where the bacteria were grown, the agency said on Monday.
KFC, which is part of Yum Brands Inc., opened its first restaurant in Mongolia in 201
"We deeply regret the negative impact many people have experienced, especially our guests at the Zaysan restaurant, and we are working to support our team members and our customers at this difficult time," said a spokesman for KFC Global. e-mail on Tuesday.
"KFC Mongolia is fully co-operating with the government's investigation and recommendations to address the source of the incident. This includes an in-depth investigation into all KFC restaurants in Mongolia, and in particular the exact cause of the reported incident. "
Tavan Bogd apologized in a separate statement, saying the incident had happened due to weak internal quality checks and that the daily standards and rules were poorly met.
Reporting by Suvdantsetseg Tsagaanbaatar in Ulan Bator; Writing by Brenda Goh in Shanghai; Editing by Himani Sarkar