Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ More than 5,000 died in 24 days in Los Angeles County due to COVID-19

More than 5,000 died in 24 days in Los Angeles County due to COVID-19



In less than a month, Los Angeles County has registered more than 5,000 COVID-19-related deaths, a pace that underscores the county’s widespread and relentless spread of the virus.

In the roughly nine months between the first reported death on March 11 and the end of last year, the disease caused by the new coronavirus killed just over 10,000 people in the county. In the last 24 days, the death rate has accelerated dramatically with 5,106 people killed.

The official death toll for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health was 1

5,162 after 269 deaths and 10,537 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed on Saturday. In total, the total number of confirmed cases in the county reached 1,064,887.

“We wish healing and peace to anyone grieving for a loved one lost by COVID-19,” said Barbara Ferrer, director of public health in Los Angeles County. “Many people continue to spread the virus and, tragically, more than 15,000 people have now died from COVID-19 in Los Angeles County.”

Of Saturday’s deaths, 62 percent died at the age of 65 or older, a demographic at risk that county officials are struggling to get vaccinated quickly against the virus.

The county also reported that 6,881 patients with COVID-19 are currently hospitalized, with 24% in need of intensive care. These figures offer something of a silver lining, as they mark the first time the county has fallen below 7,000 hospitalizations since Dec. 29.

However, the capacity of the hospital ward remains 0% in Southern California.

“Although we see some positive data in daily new cases and hospitalizations, we are far from the forest,” Ferrer said. “It is extremely important to slow down the spread of COVID-19 in order to decompress the burden on our healthcare system and save lives.”

She added: “Please continue to adhere to all safety precautions to protect yourself and others: stay at home as long as possible, wear a face cover, avoid gatherings, stay away and wash your hands often.

On Saturday, the county also reported eight new cases of a serious inflammatory disease that attacks children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the disease, known as MIS-C, is linked to COVID-19 and causes severe inflammation of parts of the body and vital organs. Children may experience symptoms such as “abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes” and fatigue.

There are currently 62 cases in the county, with Latinos accounting for nearly 74% of all infections. There is one death.

Every child with MIS-C is hospitalized, and 45% of the children are admitted to the intensive care unit.

In Orange County, 78 deaths and 2,725 new COVID-19 infections were reported on Saturday, resulting in a total of 221,493 deaths and 2,625 deaths, according to the county health agency.

1,818 patients are currently hospitalized, and 482 of these people need intensive treatment.

Between January 10 and January 16, Orange County also reported 31 COVID-19 infections associated with county schools. Eleven students, 11 staff and nine teachers became infected with most cases from primary and secondary schools.

As of mid-August, 1,229 Orange County students, 490 teachers and 399 employees have signed a contract for COVID-19.

The county also reported that 152,368 people have recovered from the virus since then.




Source link