Nate Diaz vs. Leon Edwards will not happen this month at UFC 262.
Diaz (20-12 MMA, 15-10 UFC) suffered a minor injury, the exact nature of which is currently unknown, and his middleweight bout with Edwards (18-3 MMA, 10-2 UFC) has been postponed by the May 15 event. in Houston to UFC 263 on June 12. This will remain a five round battle.
MMA Junkie confirmed the change with a number of people close to the situation, following an initial report from Yahoo! Sports. People requested anonymity because UFC officials have not yet made an official announcement.
Edwards commented on the news (via Twitter):
What has already been written cannot be denied. #faith #strapseason #newdate #samemission pic.twitter.com/Ey3wOuNQuQ
̵1; Leon Rocky Edwards (@Leon_edwardsmma) May 4, 2021
UFC 263 will be held at the Gila River Arena in Glendale, Arizona. The main card is broadcast with a viewing fee after ESPN and ESPN + previews.
The 36-year-old Diaz is not competing and is not reserved from losing the BMF title in November 2019 to Jorge Masvidal. One of the most popular fighters in UFC history, Diaz remained active on Twitter during his time away from the cage, occasionally firing potential future opponents.
After not losing since 2015, the 29-year-old Edward entered a winning streak of eight fights in his clash on March 13 against Belal Mohammed. The fight ended in the second round after Edwards stabbed Muhammad in the eye and made him unable to continue.
The latest range from UFC 263 now includes:
- The champion Israel Adesanya against Marvin Vetori – for the title in the middle category
- Champion Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Brandon Moreno – for the fly title
- Nate Diaz vs. Leon Edwards
- Damian Maya vs. Belal Mohammed
- Paul Craig v Jamahal Hill
- Drew Dober vs. Brad Riedel
- Jake Collier vs. Carlos Felipe
- Luigi Vendramini vs. Tariffs Ziam
- Hakeem Dawodu vs. Movsar Evloev
- Siara Eubanks vs. Carol Rosa
- Joan Calderwood vs. Lauren Murphy
- Frank Camacho vs. Matt Frevola
- Chase Hooper vs. Stephen Peterson