New Zealand's Prime Minister will return to Christchurch
New Zealand moves quickly under Ardren to respond to what she called the "worst act of terrorism" in the history of the Pacific Island.
Ardern said on Monday that attacks – killing 50 people and injuring dozens more – revealed weaknesses in the arms laws that the government will consider through reforms to be announced within 10 days.
"The clear lesson from history in the world is that in order to make our communities safer, now is the time to act," Ardern said on Monday
MEPs will meet on Tuesday to share their condolences for the victims (19659005) Ardern said he would meet the first respondents and the victims' families on Wednesday when they were preparing for burial
Ardenn said he would meet the first respondents and the families of the victims on Wednesday when they were preparing for burial. On Saturday, she visited members of the Muslim community in Christchurch carrying a hijab in the , which observers praise as a significant gesture of compassion and respect
While admitting that "for a short period "planned modifications can create uncertainty for some gun owners," Ardern said, believing the "vast majority" of New Zealand gunmen agree that change is needed.
Earlier on Monday TradeMe's trade site has completed the sale of semi-automatic weapons on its online market.
"We listened to public attitudes after a terrorist attack on Friday in Christchurch and we decided to eliminate all semi-automatic sales of firearms and related items," TradeMe writes
The investigation must begin in attack
The prime minister said the investigation would look at the circumstances that led to the attack on Friday.
The investigation will investigate what agencies they knew – or should have known – about shooters' access to weapons or any barriers to information sharing, she said. These agencies include the New Zealand Security Office, the Office for Security of Government Communications, Police, Customs and Immigration, she said.
The Police Commissioner of New Zealand Mike Bush told reporters on Monday that the investigation of the attacks was the largest criminal trial ever conducted by the police in the country Australian Brenton Harris Tarrant, 28, is believed to be the only person responsible for the attacks , although he could get support from other people, said the commissioner.
Tarrant lives in the southern city of Dunedin, about 225 miles from Christchurch. Officials said he did not have a criminal story in New Zealand or Australia and did not draw the intelligence community's attention to extremist views.
Bush said the level of threat in New Zealand remains high and there will be increased visibility from the police and emergency services. partners "for weeks."
Susanna Kulinan of CNN writes from Auckland and Emanuela Grinberg from London. CNN, Jo Shelley, Madeline Holcombe and Jack Guy contributed to this report.