North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said Friday that Pyongyang is ready for both dialogue and confrontation with the United States, warning Washington that continuing sanctions would be a mistake, according to state media KCNA.
Ri is also accused US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo casts "dark shadows" on US-North Korean talks, claiming that Pompeo is more interested in his own political ambitions than in current US foreign policy.
On Thursday, a North Korean spokesman said Pyongyang had "no interest" in the dialogue unless Washington stopped "escalating hostilities."
Pyongyang says US is "adjusted" to sanctions despite demand for dialogue
But South Korean deputy national security adviser Kim Hong Chong pointed out
"My impression was that North Korea and the US would hold a dialogue soon and that will work out fine, "Kim told reporters in Seoul on Thursday.
Talks between Pyongyang and Washington were delayed after the second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi in February collapsed without an agreement.
The couple met again in June in the Demilitarized Zone and agreed to resume dialogue at the working level, but these talks have yet to begin.
In the meantime, North Korea has conducted several short-range missile tests in recent weeks in protest of the annual joint US-South Korea military exercises, which it considers to be
Wednesday, Stephen Began, US special envoy for North Korea, who leads the talks at the working level, arrived in Seoul for three-day meetings, which are expected to end on Friday.
Washington has nearly 30,000 troops to the south to protect it from its neighbor.  stated that Bigun was ready to engage after hearing from Pyongyang. 6] Earlier this month, Trump wrote on social media that Kim had sent him a letter – handed to him – in which he hoped the talks would resume "as soon as the joint US-South Korea joint exercise was completed."