"North Korea launched a number of shells early in the morning from around Hodo Peninsula in South Hamong Province," JCS says, adding that it is on the lookout for further launches.
"Our military monitors and monitors related movements in preparation for additional launches and maintains readiness."
An American official confirmed to CNN that two missiles had been fired from North Korea. Another official told CNN separately that the shootings did not pose a threat to the United States.
The White House is familiar with the launch, said a senior U.S. administration official.
This latest start comes when North Korean officials indicated to the White House official last week that national security talks could begin soon, a senior administration official said on Tuesday.
According to the North Korean State Central News Agency (KCNA), July 25 was intended to send a warning to South Korea and was "personally organized" by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. [ThereforethespecialistsaresayingthatthemissionsmayberesponsiblefortheNorthKoreatheplannedjointtrainingexercisesbetweentheUnitedStatesandSouthKoreatheteachingsoflongagothesharpeningoftheNorthKorea
then South Korea said that it is looking at shootings
This is an evolving story and will be updated.