Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ O’Brien: The United States is “considering additional options” following mass arrests in Hong Kong

O’Brien: The United States is “considering additional options” following mass arrests in Hong Kong



National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said Sunday that the United States is “exploring additional possibilities” after more than 50 activists were arrested in Hong Kong.

O’Brien described about 55 arrests last week, the largest mass arrest since China introduced a new national security law in Hong Kong, as “politicized” and “the latest of many successive nails that Beijing has driven into the coffin of Hong Kong democracy.” . ”

“The United States was the first great nation to have the courage and conviction to openly acknowledge the true nature of the CCP regime,”

; O’Brien said in a statement. “It is crucial that countries around the world demand accountability from Beijing.”

“The world cannot continue to pay high prices for its naivety and complicity in Beijing’s irresponsible and harmful practices – whether it ends the rule of law in Hong Kong or does not cooperate with health officials in the pandemic,” he continued. “The United States is exploring additional response options.”

The national security adviser said President TrumpDonald Trump Kim says North Korea’s efforts will focus on bringing the United States to its knees Pelosi calls on Democrats to prepare to return to DC this week amid calls for impeachment of Ken Klippenstein: “Ideological” blind spot does not allow law enforcement to respond urgently to Capitol riots MOREthe US administration “predicted and announced the death of Hong Kong’s free and open society” in May last year.

American, Australian, Canadian and British employees condemned the arrests in joint statement from Saturday.

“It is clear that the National Security Act is being used to eliminate disagreement and opposing political views,” the diplomats said. “We call on the central authorities of Hong Kong and China to respect the legally guaranteed rights and freedoms of the people of Hong Kong without fear of arrest and detention.”

The joint statement was signed by the Secretary of State Mike PompeoMike Pompeo Pompeo, Cruz and other Trump allies condemn Twitter’s ban on President Sanders defends pressure to impeach Trump: Uprising will not be tolerated, Australian Foreign Minister Maris Payne, British Secretary of State Dominic Raab and Canadian Foreign Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne.

Most of those arrested were detained for participating in an unofficial primary election party for the postponed legislative elections, which officials say do not comply with the law. All but three are released on bail, according to Associated Press.

China backed a national security law last year designed to criminalize foreign interference, subversion and secession. Western governments and Hong Kong activists have rejected the law, saying it threatens the “one nation, two systems” rule that China agreed to when it gained control of Hong Kong in 1997.

Hong Kong officials criticized the joint letter from foreign officials, saying: “We are appalled by remarks made by some overseas government officials who seem to have suggested that people with certain political beliefs should be immune to legal sanctions.”

The National Security Act was passed more than a year after progressive democratic protests in Hong Kong rocked the city over a now-drafted bill that would allow suspects to be extradited to China.




Source link