COMPLETION – After a busy summer outdoors and less than two days back at school, Star Jackman has felt the early anguish of what will turn into a excruciating headache.
It was the Friday before Labor Day. The 6-year-old Coventry girl is mostly sleeping for the next 24 hours as Rhode Island Public Health officials worry more about the threat of Eastern equine encephalitis, a life-threatening mosquito-borne virus that swells a person's brain. .  On Sunday, September 1, the star went out of temperature, remembering his father, who took the first-grader to a clinic on Route 3. Within 30 minutes, his daughter was taken to Hasbro Children's Hospital for an ambulance within 30 minutes. [1
This is what Jackman remembers about the prelude to his daughter's hospitalization, which unfolded in the first week of September, a nightmarish ordeal that doctors couldn't fully explain at the time. On Monday, the family learned, through test results, that Star was in a fight with EEE, Jackman says.
It was difficult to witness at the beginning of the battle.
The injured girl, who usually likes to sing and dance and play with Barbie dolls, was so weak that she could not lift her head.
At the hospital, her father says, medical staff also told him Star's mother, Jessica Jackman, that their daughter had viral meningitis.
For the first 30 hours in the hospital, he says, Star occasionally wakes up from his sleep in intense pain and screaming. She repeatedly asked her mother to do something to provide relief.
But her mother couldn't help it. In about a minute, or sometimes after 12 minutes, the Star will fall asleep again, he recalls, adding that his daughter also suffers from tremors and seizures.
Two nights during the first four or five days, according to Hasbro, the heart rate of the star dropped to levels well below normal. On both occasions, he says doctors and nurses tried to keep her alive.
"They all worked together as a team," he says. "He had a bunch of eyes on her."
At one point, he says, his doctors showed disturbing images of the star's brain.
He says that the medical staff did not talk much about it, but as the family waited for the test results, they were aware that EEE was possible.
"It was always in the back of our mind," says the father.
The death of a West Warwick resident reported by the State Department of Health on September 9 was not lost to the Star family.
About one-third of people affected by EEE die from it, according to federal Centers for Disease Control.
After about a week, she remembers Star's father, the girl began to recover, drinking juice, trying to drop off food, and headed for the bathroom.
Initially, the Star did not know her parents, she remembers her mother Jessica. She called her mother by the name of her sister. She demanded her father as he looked straight at him.
But her mother tells her that she knew that the Beast's memory was coming back when her 11-year-old sister appeared: The star reached out to her.
In her hospital room, she received cards and gift baskets from her classmates at Hopkins Hill Elementary School.
Star left the hospital on September 9 and now recognizes and remembers his family and friends. She staggers when she walks, but her muscle memory slowly improves, her mother says.
Her father hopes to have a battery of tests next month to confirm that Star has defeated EEE without lasting health effects.
Her parents tell her that they do not remember the special outdoor experience that exposed the Star to mosquitoes carrying EEE.
But in the summer, she was out every day, swimming in pools, bouncing on a trampoline and riding a bicycle in her neighborhood off South Main Street.
And Starr's mother knows one more thing: mosquitoes, she says, have always liked their daughter.
The need to repel can easily be neglected.
"Make sure," she says, "You put a spraying bug on yourself and your children." dies after contracting with EEE
What are Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) an d West Nile viruses and how to protect yourself