Parler may never recover from its ban by Amazon and a number of other technology companies, CEO John Matze said in an interview with Reuters.
But at another point in the conversation, he admitted, “It may never be. We still don’t know.”
Over the weekend, Google and Apple removed Parler from their app stores. Shortly afterwards, Amazon launched Parler from Amazon Web Services, which hosted the site. And it wasn’t just Amazon. “All providers, from text messaging services to e-mail providers to our lawyers, have left us,” Matze said in a Sunday interview with Fox News. Parler has been offline ever since.
Technology companies were worried because Parler had become a gathering place for right-wing extremists who were planning a violent attack on the US Capitol last week. Amazon says it has been warning Parler for months about violent content hosted on the site – such as content calling for “rape, torture and killings of certain government officials and private citizens.”
After Amazon launched Parler from AWS, Parler sued Amazon. Parler claims the takeover is part of an anti-competitive conspiracy to bolster Twitter’s dominance. But as Amazon said in its response, Amazon did not host the Twitter show and the two companies did not communicate with Parler.
With multiple services dumping Parler at the same time, it may take some time for Parler engineers to restore the service using different vendors. Even if they can handle it, they are likely to be hampered by Apple and Google’s bans, as they won’t have an easy way to distribute their mobile app to consumers.