- After experiencing anal itching and bleeding for two months, the 32-year-old mother underwent a colonoscopy and found that she had a 1-inch pinworm in her anus – and laid eggs.
- About 50% of children take forceps, the most common worm infection in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Symptoms include itching around the vagina and anus, irritability and nausea.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
After experiencing anal itching and bleeding for two months, a 32-year-old mother visited a medical clinic for study. A colonoscopy revealed she had a 1
The woman's 5-year-old daughter also had this condition, which was eventually traced back to the child's school, where a number of girls' classmates received the same diagnosis.
Pinworms, or Enterobius vermicularis, are actually quite common – especially among children. Although even just reading about the condition can make you feel uncomfortable, the infection usually comes with few symptoms and rarely causes serious health problems.
Once diagnosed, treatment is quite easy and families can protect themselves with some basic hygiene practices.
After 2 months of anal itching and bleeding, a mother has been diagnosed with pinworms .
While anyone can develop the infection, it is most common among children between the ages of 5 and 10 who tend to touch everything and may not wash their hands properly. Because it is such an infectious condition, family members and caregivers are prone to developing it.
So what exactly are pinches and how they get infected?
About 50% of children picks
As the name suggests. pinworms are small, thin, staple-sized worms that can live in the colon and anus of a person.
When an infected person scratches their anus due to an inflammatory response, the eggs cling to the fingers and spread easily from there. Someone may inadvertently swallow or inhale eggs through contaminated food or drink. They can also swallow eggs by placing their fingers in their mouth after touching infected surfaces. Children are also known to raise the infection by playing in sandboxes.
After being in the human body, female worms emerge through the ass while the infected person sleeps and deposit their eggs on surrounding skin. Common symptoms include itching around the vagina and anus, irritability and nausea,
Female pinches lay and lay their eggs around the anus of an infected person ? Basic hygiene is key.
"Pinch prevention involves good hand hygiene, such as washing hands with soap and water before eating and after using the bathroom," Nadia Sabri, a pediatrician at Austin Regional Clinic, told Insider. "Do not bite nails and keep nails short and clean."
Sabri recommends that families wash their linen, towels, and clothing in hot water and be vigilant about vacuuming play areas – especially if there is a fire in the children's classroom.
She also advised parents to instruct their children to avoid scratching around the anus.
But parents should not feel stigmatized if tweezers fall into their family, as this can happen to anyone – even A-list celebrities.
During an interview on Joel McHale's Show last year, actress Kristen Bell revealed how she got a pinch from her 3-year-old daughter.
When Bell noticed his daughter was scratching her bottom, she immediately knew there was a problem.
"You have to follow him and you have to look in their care," Bell tells McHale. "Surely, I wiped and saw a little white worm."
Worm infections are easily detectable and treatable. The eggs will become visible by pinching the pieces of tape to the skin around the anus, a process appropriately called, the test of the tape. Lighting an ass flashlight at night when a parasite is more likely to occur is another way for concerned parents to check.
The condition is usually treated with oral medications and medical experts recommend that the entire household seek treatment, even if only one person is diagnosed.
As the saying goes, the early bird catches the worm.