Panic announced that the Playdate, its $ 179 crank and black-and-white handheld console, will be available for pre-order in July, with delivery starting later in the year. The company has not yet set a date, but says it will provide at least a week’s notice before opening orders.
Panic is doing everything possible to avoid a PS5 / RTX 3080 stock situation by implementing its own ordering system. “The sooner you order, the sooner you’ll get one, but we won’t close the door on you,” co-founder Cable Sasser said in a video update.
The company also announces a charming stereo dock accessory for the Playdate, which makes it look like an old TV and works as both a Bluetooth speaker and a pen holder. Panic has not yet provided information on prices or the release of the dock.
Finally, Panic has announced 21 of the 24 titles that will be presented in the first “season” of Playdate. Details are intentionally kept secret until each game is automatically downloaded to the device; owners will receive two games a week for 12 weeks.
Here are the title screens for all 21 games:
And here is the list of games and their developers:
- Crankin’s adventure in time by uvula (Keita Takahashi, Ryan Mohler), Matthew Grimm and Shaun Inman
- Battleship Godios from TPM.Co Soft Works.
- Random birds by Diego Garcia with music by Max Coburn
- DemonQuest 85 by Alex Ashby, Lawrence Bishop, Duncan Fife, Belinda Long and Jared Emerson-Johnson
- Echoic memory by Samantha Kalman, Everest Pipkin, Carol Merz and Rachel Viola
- Executive Golf DX from davemakes
- Pinball lift from Serenity Forge
- Forest Bynes: Up in the smoke by Nels Anderson and Christina “castpixel” Neofotistou
- Hyper Meteor by Vertex Pop (Mobeen Fikree, Robby Duguay and h heron)
- You lost your balls from Sweet Baby Inc. & Friends
- Omaze by Gregory Kogos
- Pick Pack Pup by Nic Magnier and Arthur Hamer (he / he) with music by Logan Gabriel
- Questy chess from Dadako
- Ratcheteer by Sean Inman, Matthew Grimm and Charlie Davis
- Sasquatchers by Chuck Jordan with music and sound by Jared Emerson-Johnson
- Chat by Zack Gage with art by Neven Mrgan
- Spell! by Jada Gibbs, Nick Splendorr, Ryan Splendorr and Tony Ghostbrite with music by A Shell in the Pit (Em Halberstadt)
- Zip by Bennett Fody
- Saturday edition by Chris Macris with music by A Shell in the Pit (Gord McGladdery, Alfonso Salinas)
- Whitewater Wipeout by Chuhai Labs (Giles Goddard, Mark Lentz, Peter Traylor, Hero Liao, Remy Thor, Charlie March, Kensaku Nakata, Zach Aikman, Mihoko Terao and Kinsey Burke)
Playdate has a long way to go. It was first announced in May 2019 and we got our first look at the console itself next month.