Prince Edward said the “break-up” of the British royal family with Prince Harry and Megan Markle was “very sad”.
But “families are families,” Queen Elizabeth’s youngest son told CNN’s Max Foster in an interview published Thursday, the 100th birthday of his father, the late Prince Philip.
Harry and Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, retired from royal duties and moved to the United States last year. Tensions with the family intensified after Markle̵
Edward sympathizes with his nephew and niece.
“It’s strange that we’ve all been there before, we’ve all had excessive intrusion and attention in our lives,” the prince said. “And we’ve all dealt with it in a slightly different way, and listen, we wish them the best of luck. This is a really difficult decision. “
The birth of Harry and Megan’s second child, Lilibet “Lily” Diana, last week was “fantastic news,” Edward said. “I hope they are very happy. Just families are families, right, you know? “
Asked how the queen was coping with the rift, Edward said it was “difficult for everyone, but these are families for you”. He added that she had been “remarkably well” since Philip’s death in April at the age of 99.
The gradual resumption of the UK amid easing restrictions on the coronavirus has kept the monarch busy, he said.
“I think there will be other times of the year where I think it will be a little more touching and a little harder,” he added. “But right now … I think everyone’s really in pretty good shape.”
See Edward’s comments here:
Call all HuffPost super fans!
Sign up for membership to become a founder and help shape the next HuffPost chapter