Prince Harry and Megan Markle are accustomed to seeing their names erupt from the tabloids. But the fact that they expect the media to spread rumors about them does not mean that they are no less disappointed with some of the things they read about themselves in the newspapers.
In the past, Harry pleaded with the media to give him his personal life and leave Markel alone. Now, however, the young prince has reached his boiling point and is ready to bring his frustrations to court.
He decided to sue the popular British edition of Mail on Sunday for editing and publishing a letter his wife had written to her father. Many fans praise the prince for advocating for himself, but some believe that by taking this case, the Duke of Sussex may have bitten more than he can chew.
So, Prince Harry and Megan Markle just started a war they won't be able to win? Here's what we know about the situation so far.
Why is Megan Markle and Prince Harry suing a world-famous publication?
On October 1, 2019, Prince Harry and Markle released a joint statement on their official website announcing that they would sue The Mail on Sunday for illegally publishing a letter Markel wrote to her father before marrying Prince Harry.
The notice reads:
"The contents of a personal letter have been unlawfully published in a deliberately destructive manner in order to manipulate you, the reader, and further develop the media group's separation program. In addition to illegally publishing this private document, they deliberately misled you by failing to strategically choose selected paragraphs, specific sentences, and even individual words to mask lies that have been perpetuated for more than a year. "
In a statement, Prince Harry said that he had finally decided to take legal action against the publication because he could no longer watch his wife" suffer in silence. "
The Mail on Sunday is ready to oppose
Markel is the one who technically judges the publication, but Prince Harry is the one who impartially informs the world how angry this situation has made him. Harry still blames the media not only for his mother's death but also for her unhappiness while she was still alive.
And now that his wife is being attacked, he fears that history will repeat itself.
The Mail on Sunday said that they did not believe they had done anything wrong and that they were ready to tackle the issue in court.
A statement released by the scandalous audience said: "Sunday's mail stands on the story it published and will vigorously defend this case. In particular, we strongly deny that the Duchess's letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.
Can Megan Markle and Prince Harry Lead a Lost Battle?
This is hardly the first time a family member has filed a lawsuit against a global publication. In fact, in 2012, Prince William sued a French magazine for secretly publishing Kate Middleton's topless photos while she and William were vacationing in France.
In this particular case, however, some believe that Harry and Markle's decision to sue the mail on Sunday may not produce the result they hoped for.
The BBC recently spoke with former Daily Mirror editor Roy Greenslade, who believes that since the media is not as powerful as before, Harry and Markle's costume may be a little too much.
"Does he take a hammer to crack a nut here," Greenslade asked. "I think he may find it counter-productive."
Kingdom correspondent Nick Wichl disagrees with Greenslade and believes that Markle and Harry's decision is to judge one of the biggest publications in the world can be a huge mistake because "the British tabloids are not afraid to fight."
But Greenslade says we will just have to wait and see if this was a wise decision on the part of Harry and Markle.
For a couple who claim they want the media to leave them alone, there is a good chance that their decision to sue the Mail on Sunday could lead to feedback because it could give them a lot of unwanted attention, especially if they lose the case.