Britain’s Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, is recovering from a “successful” heart operation, Buckingham Palace said on Thursday.
“The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for pre-existing heart disease at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital,” the palace said, using Philip’s official title.
“His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recovery for several days,” the statement said.
Philip – who is due to turn 100 in June – has been hospitalized since February 16, when he was admitted to King Edward VII’s hospital in London as a “precautionary measure”
He was initially treated for an infection, but on Monday was transferred to St. Bartholomew’s, a specialized cardiac hospital.
It was not immediately clear what heart disease had been treated in surgery this week, but Philip had had problems with his ticker in the past.
In 2011, he was rushed to hospital by helicopter after suffering from chest pain and being treated for a blocked coronary artery.
Since he was hospitalized, the duke has been visited publicly only by his son and heir, Prince Charles.
The 94-year-old queen stayed at Windsor Castle, where she and Philip stayed during the coronavirus pandemic, and continued to perform their official duties via video last week.
The couple received vaccinations against COVID-19 in January and Philip’s disease is not thought to be linked to the coronavirus.
The longest-serving royal husband in British history, Philip married then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947. They have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
With Post wires