INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Kylei Parker was a healthy, active 12-year-old girl, but all she needed was a trip to the beach to endanger her life
"This disease is very prevalent and very progressive and can develop in every population of patients, whether they were previously healthy or not, "said Dr. Kamal Ablubbed, a child intensive at Riley Children's Hospital. cut on fingers from a skateboard accident before her trip to Destin, Florida. After sinking into the ocean, she felt pressure in her leg.
When she returned to Indiana, her leg was swollen and her body was septic shock. According to doctors, this is a lethal combination with a dark look. "In the pediatric population, when you enter with septic shock, low blood pressure and have necrotizing fasciitis … the risk of mortality is a higher way. In Ricky's emergency room, doctors realized that Kyle had a rare infection called necrotizing fasciitis. One out of every three people who receive the infection will die of it. Kylei was quickly taken to an emergency operation. for treatment, it does not give you much time to think, "he said. Dr. Abulebda. "You have to be very fast and urgent in the way you recognize it, order a proper test, talk to the appropriate consultancy and surgery to handle the problem before it becomes irreversible." , doctors were able to remove the infection and save Kyle's feet.
"I think she's actually very lucky," said Dr. Abouleba. " Many times, what we have seen before when we have this type of infection, necrotizing fasciitis, can not save the limbs, because they are already dead and there is nothing that can save."
Abulebda does not see this infection often, but he has seen it before, and in some cases he has seen patients die of him, saying Kylei and her mother made the right choice by visiting the doctor when they were "If it has become unrecognized overnight or for a day or two, there is probably a great chance we can not save limbs either
Thanks to quick action, Kylie began hodi.S physical therapy, she hopes to return to his softball team.
For now, Kylie and her mother hope to spread awareness so that others know the signs of this rare infection and know when to seek medical attention. "said Michelle Brown while holding tears. ̵
This infection is rare, but it can happen Usually it enters the body through an open incision or wound, and in the case of Kylie she had scraped her finger. It is always important to clean pieces or abrasions and cover them with a bandage.
The CDC has more information about necrotizing fasciitis.