A woman is currently semi-matched after using a Pond-labeled cream that she received through an informal network that imported cream from Mexico, the Health Services Authority reported.
"Mercury was not added by the pond manufacturer but by a third party after purchase," the release said.
Methyl mercury can cause symptoms such as memory loss, anxiety, depression, headache and tremor, according to
The contaminated product was used as a skin lightening agent and to remove blemishes and wrinkles, according to the statement.
Pond said in a statement that the company did not use mercury in its products and worked closely with authorized dealers ensure that the product available and are safe.
"The product is not sold in the US. We are concerned about the woman who has had this experience and we are working with the authorities to investigate the matter, "the company statement said." We strongly recommend that you only buy POND'S products from trusted retailers. "
This is the first reported case of methylmercury mercury poisoning of this type associated with skin cream in the U.S. But in California in the last nine years, there have been more than 60 poisonings associated with foreign branded, unnoticed and home-made skin creams containing mercuric chloride or calomel , less toxic This form of mercury is said in a statement from Health Services.