Shocking scan images show the damaged lungs of a 19-year-old boy whose vaping habit almost left him dead.
19-year-old Anthony Mayo of Erie, Pennsylvania, became seriously ill last week, struggling to breathe, looking pale and feeling sick.
Doctors found that his lungs became heavily overloaded with hardened cooking oil, which is like cooking fat, which hardens after cooling.
This caused Anthony, who was vaping for about two years, 60 years, twice a day, a smoker, "his father Keith Mayo told him.
His oxygen levels got dangerously low and he recovered in hospital while medics work to clear his lungs.
Anthony Mayo, 19, of Erie, PA, gets seriously ill because of his vaping habit
Anthony's father, Keith Mayo, said his son thinks vaping is "cool"
about Metro US: "His whole spin was that it was cool and not so bad for you. "I was just as guilty. I went with him. I never went in, but I didn't prevent him either.
" He'll have some marks. Whether it's deep, we still don't know. It's kind of a wait. and see. He's young, 19, so he can recover from that.
Anthony's mother, Tanya, who created the fundraising page, shared the scan on Facebook.
She wrote, " Warning to those who are in denial: Here's what vaping looks like when your otherwise healthy 19-year-old is admitted to the ICU.
"Left lung is about 80 percent nth congestion, and the right one is about 50 percent, the oxygen level is 37.
"According to the doctor, this shows areas that have essentially hardened like bacon grease.
" The lung doctor said he had seen the dead people with higher oxygen levels. "
" Full recovery is uncertain … Only time will "
Anthony, who has been vaping for about two years has been found to have" the lungs of a 60 year old, twice smoker ", according to Keith
Anthony was first taken to hospital on Sunday, September 8, after having a cough.
HOW DOES VAPIN NEED SOLID LIQUID IN LUNGS?
Keith Mayo said, "As the doctor says, every time you put moisture in your lungs, it's not good.
"It hardens. He feels everything in his lungs. "
An increasing number of people who have been cooking have reported mysterious lung diseases.
Vaping works by heating a liquid in a tank and turning it into vapor for inhalation.
But some oil droplets may remain when the liquid cools back into the airways, it can clog the lungs.
This is thought to cause respiratory problems and inflammation of the lungs.
Lipoid pneumonia is increasingly associated with the use of e-cigarettes, according to the University of Utah Health Hospitals and Clinics.
The form of inflammation of the lungs develops when lipids, "fat molecules," enter the bronchial tree, and are usually observed when people accidentally inhale oil when descending on the "wrong tube" instead of their food.
Doctors suggested he had bronchitis and gave him antibiotics, saying he should recover in a few days.
Two days later, Anthony became pale and looked ill, so he returned to the emergency room.
Doctors feared that he may have developed a mild form of pneumonia that inflates the lungs and can fill them with fluid.  He was prescribed a stronger antibiotic, a steroid, and a "boot" to breathe more quickly into the drug.
But he got worse, spending all Sunday night coughing before returning to hospital on Monday.
According to Keith, tests reveal that Anthony's oxygen levels were 36 percent. According to the Mayo Clinic, less than 90 percent is dangerous
Keith says, "As the doctor says, every time you put in the lungs, it's not good.
"Harden. It's all in his lungs. "
Now, doctors are taking care of Anthony at the Milkrick Hospital, where he is oxygen-assisted.
They pump the heated oxygen with moisture into Anthony's lungs to help liquefy some of the solidified oil.  This causes Anthony to cough up the fluid – which is brown, dark green and occasionally bleeding, Keith says.
He revealed that Anthony likes to taste different flavors, and has previously fallen into blue raspberry, Swedish. fish, cotton candy and cinnamon crust toast.
Anthony also vapes THC on the occasion of which o is the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.
The shock of his son's condition led Keith to consider how companies sell their scents to young adults or children.
This comes amid a growing fear of death caused by vaping after Health officials confirmed the eighth fatal death in the U.S.
A Missouri man had normal lung function until he started using the devices in May, health officials said.
He developed mild respiratory symptoms which worsened and he was taken to hospital on August 22, where he later died.
The number of patients with vaping has increased to 500, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Pulmonary diseases reported are not associated with a specific brand or aroma of an e-cigarette.
FDA, CDC, and public health officials are investigating these cases to determine the specific causes.
Peter Openshaw, Professor of Experimental Medicine at Imperial College London, commented on the sharp rise in mysterious diseases related to vaping.
He said: "There is no doubt that the inhalation of a number of substances, from diesel particles to tobacco smoke, risks harming the lungs.
"It is well known that oils such as paraffin can cause problems because they can be inhaled without triggering protective cough reflexes, for example by firefighters and those who take liquid paraffin by mouth.
"These cases appear to be related to the inhalation of oily or oily and aqueous mixtures, which cause immune activation and cause both local inflammation in the lung (pneumonitis) and in some cases systemic inflammation.
"Exactly why and how it remains to be determined. "
E-CIGARETTE DEATH TOLL RESTORES AXIS DURING MONTH
An Illinois man said he used electronic cigarettes to smoke his THC after he died at 24, failed when a mysterious lung disease developed.
The second person to die after a vaping was a middle-aged Oregon resident.
It is alleged that they recently started using an electronic cigarette containing cannabis oil from a legal dispensary and died sometime in late August.
A third victim in Indiana died of a mysterious lung disease in August.
The patient is described only as "adult" and not much else is known about them. THE FOURTH VICTIM
The fourth victim, a 65-year-old man, died sometime in August but his death was not confirmed until September 6.
Minnesota officials say the patient had used electronic THC smoking devices.
A 55-year-old man from Los Angeles is the fifth person to lose his life after smoking e-cigarettes. He died on September 7th.
A woman in her fifties is the sixth person to succumb to vaping-related diseases.
A Kansas-born woman with a history of health problems died on September 12th.
A WEEK OF LIFE
A man from California became the seventh person to go after using the devices. The 40-year-old from Tulare County died on September 17th.
the eighth victim
 became the eighth victim to die from vaping.
It had normal lung function until it started using the devices in May.
The victim begins to experience breathing problems that gradually worsen before being taken to St. Louis Hospital on August 22. He died on September 19.