A grand jury on Thursday indicted six former Houston police officers with a total of 17 for their roles in a sparse drug attack in January 2019, leaving several dead.
On January 28, 2019, the raids came under control after the then police officer Gerald Goynes, who was shot during the attack, lied in a search warrant that a confidential informant had bought heroin in the home. Goynes later admitted that he had no informant and that he had bought the drugs himself, authorities said.
At the time, his partner, Stephen Bryant, 46, was accused of providing false information in a report after the attack, which backed Goynes̵
Rogena Nicholas, 58, and Dennis Tuttle, 59, and their dog were killed in the shooting. Family and friends have consistently denied allegations that the couple is selling drugs. Police found small amounts of marijuana and cocaine in the home, but no heroin. During the attack, four officers were shot and wounded and a fifth injured his knee.
Earlier, Goines was charged with criminal charges and forgery of government documents. He was charged with further counting on Thursday. The charge of murder is a life sentence.
The district attorney’s spotted statement said hundreds of defendants arrested by Goyns had been informed that there could be problems with their beliefs. Defendants are provided with lawyers appointed by the court.
Bryant has previously been charged with forging government records.
Three former supervisors and a former senior police officer were also indicted on Thursday.
“The allegations stem from allegations that include using false information to get judges to sign search warrants; falsifying timelines, misrepresenting crime reports and falsifying government theft documents,” the statement said. of Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg Friday.
“These allegations reinforce our decision to prosecute grafting, greed and corruption in this troubled Houston police station,” Og said. “We look forward to presenting all the evidence in the courtroom to the jurors and the people of Harris County.”
The six officers were initially charged on July 1st.
Goynes’ lawyer said the charge was invalid. “There is no new information here,” Nicole Deberde told NBC News. “This time, Og’s announcement is just another opportunity for her to talk to the press about the same thing – no new information has come out.”
“Mr Goynes is fully compliant with all court orders and is still under house arrest and undergoing corrective operations after being shot in the face during the Harding Street investigation,” she added, referring to the attack. .
Bryant’s lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Goynes and Bryant were released from duty after the shooting and later retired.