INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts have agreed on a two-year, $ 30 million deal with new starting quarterback Jacoby Brisset, a source told ESPN.
Financial details of the deal were first reported Monday by the NFL Network, which also announced that Brisset will make $ 20 million guaranteed.
Brisset is in the last year of his four-year, $ 3.41 million recruiting deal, which includes a base salary for 2019 of $ 2 million. The new two-year deal replaces his rookie contract and runs through the 2020 season.
The 26-year-old Brisset becomes the Colts' starting quarterback after Andrew Luke's retirement on August 24. He has been working with the startup unit since last April.
"I know this about Jacoby, he won't blink," Colts general manager Chris Ballard said Sunday. "He won't blink. Don't do it when we brought him here in [201
Brisset started two rookie games with the New England Patriots in 2016 after being selected in the third round of the NFL draft. The Colts acquired Bricet from the Patriots on September 2, 2017, as Luck struggled with a shoulder injury.
Brisset has two weeks to learn the playbook before taking over as the starter for the last 15 games of the 2017 season, Chuck Pagano last as a coach. The Colts went 4-11 in those games and he is 5-12 as a starter overall.
Brisset threw for 3,500 yards, 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions in his career.