Cincinnati Bengals have told Carlos Dunlap’s defensive line to stay home instead of coming to work on Wednesday as the team tidies up its future, ESPN sources told Diana Rusini.
The Bengalis have had trade talks focused on their discontent, and they continue, according to sources.
The NFL Network first announced the news.
Tensions over Dunlap escalated on Sunday during Bengal’s 37-34 loss to visiting Cleveland Browns. After the Browns scored the winning touchdown with the remaining 11 seconds, Dunlap got into a dispute with defense coordinator Lou Anarumo over the call, said a source familiar with the situation, ESPN’s Ben Baby.
Television cameras filmed Dunlap being obstructed by Nick Eason, Bengal̵
Dunlap, a former Pro Bowler, has spent all 11 seasons of his career in Cincinnati.
“We’re just dealing with it internally,” coach Zack Taylor said on Sunday when asked about the situation. “We have a group of guys in the locker room who want so badly to do things the right way and get where we want to be.”
Dunlap was unable to speak after Sunday’s game.
Dunlap’s turmoil reached a new level on October 8, when he told reporters he had been demoted from his initial role during a news conference. On October 19, Dunlap went to Instagram Live to express his disappointment even more. Then on Saturday, Dunlap posted a picture of the rotation of the defensive end, which made him third, and said, “Zack / Lou, they did an experiment, but I don’t have time for that.”
Dunlap and veteran defensive fights Geno Atkins played just 12 defensive clicks during the loss to the Browns on Sunday, according to NFL statistics Next Gen.
Dunlap, the second round of the 2010 draft, is in the midst of a four-year, $ 54 million deal that expires at the end of the 2021 season, according to ESPN’s list management system.
ESPN’s Ben Baby contributed to this report.