Some corrupt bastards of the Washington Capitals called for victory over the New York Rangers on Monday night. In a hockey year that was hockey weird, this game was downright ghostly.
There were a lot of goals from the Shambhala apostates who think they are still playing Caps hockey. For starters, Nick Dowd scored a quick goal and Connor Sherry added with a graceful assist by Michael Raffle.
Mika Zibanejad finished the first period and started the second period with a pair of goals, as he always does against Washington. Rangers led in front of Kaapo Kako’s staff, but Garnet Hathaway equalized late.
Four minutes after the third period, Daniel Sprong made several more elite moves to restore Washington̵
The lids win.
(No “Bailamos” tonight. House rules.)
- Alex Ovechkin play one shift, under a minute. He left the game and did not return.
- Eugene Kuznetsov and Ilya Samsonov he didn’t dress for the game because of any team discipline. They were late for a team event.
- One thing we will never know is whether Kuznetsov’s discipline forced Ovechkin to play, or whether Ovechkin’s determination to play allowed the team to sit Kuznetsov. Anyway, it was a catastrophic series of events.
- Elsewhere, TJ Oshie missed the game for personal reasons, and Justin Schultz breastfed the same injury. All this led to a very short composition of Caps.
- And then, during the second period, Tom Wilson hit Pavel Buchnevich in the back of the head while lying down and face down. This caused a scandal, which Ian dutifully documented for you. Wilson was justly punished, and I wouldn’t try to get more. Immediately after that, he left the shortened bench for his team even shorter. I think I will update this old yarn in a few days.
- At the other end of the ice, Artemi Panarin left the game after the second half. I believe this is due to his scrap with Wilson, pictured above.
- Daniel SkokThe goal to continue in the third period was the fifth of five games. Folks, he could catch McDavid.
#JoeBSuitOfTheNight #CapsRangers Navy and Red pic.twitter.com/hcM5EBap4T
– Jan Oland (@ianoland) May 3, 2021
There was a tornado in Frederick tonight. We’re all fine in the land of RMNB, but it was scary. If you’ve been caught in it, I hope you’re okay. I guess I’m just distracted by what a blessing is. But for this distraction I cannot muster my usual indignation at Wilson’s cunning, nor from my concern for Ovechkin, nor from my smile “boys will be boys” for Kuznetsov and Samsonov.
Tonight was strange, but not really funny or amusing. I didn’t like Ovechkin playing and leaving. I didn’t like Tom Wilson being stupid. I didn’t like Panarin getting hurt. I did not like Kuznetsov and Samsonov to be two little crooks.
But I like that the Rangers were officially eliminated and that a bunch of profitable boys from the bottom broke it and played horribly when there were two or three boys. So I’m in conflict.
As I said: it was a strange year.
RMNB Hat Coverage in Rangers
Photo courtesy of NBC Sports Washington