Dünzl ullstein image via Getty Images
- Nio announced Monday that it has sold 88.5 million U.S. custodian shares for $ 17 in cash.
- Shares of Nio fell 8% in pre-trading on Monday.
- China’s electric vehicle company, which competes with Tesla, initially plans to sell 75 million shares in a secondary offering
- Watch Nio live trading at Markets Insider.
- Read more on Business Insider.
Shares of Nio fell as much as 8% in preliminary trading on Monday after the Chinese electric vehicle company announced a larger secondary offer than expected.
Nio, which competes with carmakers such as Tesla and Nikola, said on Monday it had sold 88.5 million U.S. depositary shares for $ 1
The company plans to use the proceeds from the offer “to increase the company’s share capital and ownership in NIO China, to repurchase shares held by some minority shareholders of NIO China, and for research and development in the field of autonomous management technologies, global market development and common corporate goals, “the statement said.
Read more: GOLDMAN SACHS: Buy these 9 stocks that are ready to continue crushing the market as “shared favorites” of the biggest Wall Street investors
The secondary proposal was larger than expected. Last week, Nio announced that it intends to sell 75 million ads in the offer. The heightened supply comes amid global craze for electric vehicle companies – Tesla shares jumped sharply this year.
Nio has grown 360% so far by the end of Friday.
Read more: “Basically a mass manipulation”: A market expert is unloaded from the “failure” of the modern financial system, driven by the central bank – and says that another collapse of shares is likely to occur