Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Health https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ The 54-year-old man died from eating too many licorice

The 54-year-old man died from eating too many licorice



A 54-year-old man died of over-consumption of candy – black licorice root.

The Massachusetts man eats a bag and a half of candy every day for two weeks before his death, the New York Post reports.

Licorice contains the sweetener glycyrrhizinic acid, which can deplete human potassium levels and contribute to heart problems, high blood pressure, edema and lethargy, doctors said in an article in the New England Journal of Medicine published Wednesday.

When the man died – he collapsed in a fast food restaurant – doctors said he had extremely low potassium levels, leading to heart rhythm problems.

The FDA actually has a warning about black licorice ̵

1; the red look is good. If you are 40 or older, eating 2 ounces of licorice a day for at least two weeks can take you to the hospital.

If you are going to eat licorice, the FDA recommends

No matter your age, do not eat large amounts of black licorice at the same time

If you have eaten a lot of licorice and are experiencing irregular heartbeat or muscle weakness – stop eating sweets and call a healthcare provider

Licorice can interact with certain medications, herbs and supplements. Consult a healthcare professional if you have any questions.

Click here to sign up for Free Daily Voice daily emails and news alerts.




Source link