DENVER – The first case of a sudden, severe, lung-related illness associated with vaping has been confirmed in Colorado, state officials said Thursday.
According to the Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment, the case was initially reported Tuesday.
A second case was reported Thursday in Colorado, but it has not yet been confirmed.
CDPHE does not say where the cases or ages of people who are ill are located.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are 153 possible cases of the disease in 16 conditions. However, there is currently no name for the disease.
Many of the people affected are hospitalized.
"All reported vaping fluids or oils containing nicotine, marijuana, CBD, synthetic marijuana or a combination thereof," CDPHE said in a press release.
Dr. Tista Ghosh, chief medical officer at CDPHE, said
"As the department actively informs providers and hospitals of symptoms, we expect to receive more reports." through the press release.
Colorado has one of the highest rates of teenage vaping in the nation.
CDPHE says that people who have vaps should be aware of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of breath or breathing problems
- Chest pain
- Possible temperature
The agency added that vaping products are not harmless.
"Agents causing this disease may possibly be pesticide contamination, residual solvent contamination, additives with unknown inhalation effects or severe for me
CDPHE advises healthcare providers to check on all young people , Parents and caregivers to use and exposure to vape. He also says children and teens should be consulted about the negative effects of vaping on health.
Those seeking resources to give up can visit the Colorado Waiver Line.