That was a total of $ 70 million. The car, considered by some to be the first Porsche, failed to be auctioned at RM Sotheby's in Monterey, California, on Saturday after bidding was robbed.
The elegant Type 64 was built by Ferdinand Porsche and his son, Ferry, between 1939 and 1940, years before their company was registered in 1946. It was intended for a competition planned between Berlin and Rome, but canceled by the outbreak of World War II.
The car was damaged and repaired by Porsche years later, then purchased in 1949 by a race car driver who has been racing with it for many years. It was last sold in 1997 to an Austrian Porsche collector, which is the one offering it in Monterrey.
Experts expect the car to sell for around $ 20 million, but YouTube videos filmed during the event appear to be opening the auction with a Dutch accent bidding for $ 30 million, which excites the crowd.
The number was shown on the screen, followed by bids of $ 40 million, $ 50 million, $ 60 million and $ 70 million. At least it sounded like that.
"He says seventy guys, it's seventeen," he said, collecting a round of ridicule and forcing a few people to come to the event.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APPLICATION
Despite his best efforts to keep the ball rolling, the bidding is held up at $ 17 million, which is below the car's undisclosed reserve.  An authentic $ 70 million bid would make the car the most expensive one ever auctioned, potentially tying the record price allegedly paid for a Ferrari 250 GTO in a private deal last year.
Later, the auction house issued a statement acknowledging the mistake, adding that it was involuntary and not a joke according to Jalopnik.
BE ALL! FOCUS ON FACEBOOK CARS DO DO NOTHING YOU THINK