The Pentagon informed Congress late on Monday that it had allowed the transfer of up to $ 1 billion to raise 57 miles of the "pedestrian fence" along the US-Mexican border in direct support of President Trump's national emergency statement last month . The fences, which will be 18 feet high, should rise in the Yuma and El Paso sectors, the statement said. The Pentagon's announcement was remarkable. A New York Times reporter wrote that for the first time the funds would be transferred under section 284 for the border wall.
Section 284 allows the Pentagon to "build roads and fences and install lighting to block drug trafficking corridors across the United States' international borders to support the counter-narcotics activities of federal law enforcement agencies," the statement said.
The Pentagon's announcement was made when Trump won a victory over Democrats as a host trying to cancel his first veto, the vote that seems certain he will fail and allow his statement to stand. the wound that is scheduled for Tuesday will preserve an intact border situation that will now allow the president to transfer an additional $ 3.6 billion from military construction projects to work on a barrier along the southwest border
will be good at "The veto will not be overlooked." Donald Trump Jr. wrote: "Christmas came early this week," in response to the announcement, "the minority leader Kevin McCarthy, R-California, in a short interview. He is also referring to the report by special attorney Robert Muller, according to which there is no evidence of collusion between Trump's and Russia's campaign in the presidential election in 201
Patrick M. Shanahan, acting minister of defense, announced that the funds will be used to support the Department of Homeland Security and the Customs and Border Patrol. He authorized the Army's engineering corps to begin its planning and execution.
A group of Democrat senators criticized the Pentagon's move and called a maneuver for a violation of Congress funds, Bloomberg reported. The Democrats called the National Emergency Situation Crisis Case of Trump
"The reprogramming of $ 1 billion, which the administration applies without Congress approval, is theft of a dollar for a dollar from other needs of our armed forces," Sens. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., Dick Durbin, D-Ill., And others wrote in a letter to Shanahan, according to the report. intact, Trump may not be able to spend money on barriers quickly because of lawsuits that could take years to resolve.
Associated Press contributed to this report