Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Health https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ The woman in Michigan is the first confirmed case of human hantavirus

The woman in Michigan is the first confirmed case of human hantavirus



Michigan reports its first case of human hantavirus: A woman contracted a deadly respiratory disease while cleaning an abandoned home infected with rodents

  • Michigan health officials confirmed the country’s first case of hantavirus on Monday, saying a woman was hospitalized with a respiratory virus
  • They said she was probably exposed when “cleaning an unoccupied home that shows signs of active rodent infestation”
  • Hantavirus can be transmitted to humans by infected rodents when they breathe air contaminated with excrement, touch an infected rodent or bite them.
  • Centers for Disease Control said it could also be obtained from foods contaminated with rodent droppings
  • It cannot spread from person to person and has a 38 percent mortality rate

Michigan has confirmed its first case of hantavirus, a potentially deadly respiratory disease spread through contact with infected rodents.

Michigan health officials said Monday that a woman from Washington County was “recently hospitalized with a serious lung disease from the hantavirus Sin Nombre, which was ‘probably exposed to the cleaning of an unoccupied home that showed signs of active rodent infection.’

As of January 2017, only 728 cases of hantavirus had been reported in the United States since health officials began monitoring it in 1993, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

New Mexico reported the most cases, with 109, followed by Colorado, with 104; Arizona, with 78; California, with 61; and Texas, with 45.

DailyMail.com contacted the Ministry of Health for more information about the patient’s condition.

Dr. Johnny Haldun, Michigan's chief medical officer, said Monday that a woman in Washington County was the first in the state to contract a hantavirus.

Dr. Johnny Haldun, Michigan’s chief medical officer, said Monday that a woman from Washington County was the first in the state to contract a hantavirus

The hantavirus is spread by contact with mice, such as the house mouse seen here

The hantavirus is spread by contact with mice, such as the house mouse seen here

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is usually transmitted to humans when they breathe air contaminated with the virus through rodent feces, from rodent bites, or if people touch something that has been contaminated with urine, saliva, or rodent feces before touching the skin, mouth, or mouth. or your nose.

It may also be possible to shrink the virus by eating food contaminated with feces from infected rodents, urine or saliva, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

“Anyone who comes in contact with rodents carrying hantavirus is at risk for HPS,” said Dr. Johnny Haldun, chief medical officer and deputy health deputy at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

The most common hantavirus in the United States is the Sin Nombre hantavirus, which has been confirmed to have a woman in Michigan.

It is spread by deer and foot mice and cannot be transmitted from person to person and has a 38 percent mortality rate.

Symptoms of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome may occur one to eight weeks after exposure and include fatigue, fever, and muscle aches, as well as headache, dizziness, chills, nausea, and abdominal pain.

Later symptoms include cough and shortness of breath.

Microscopic view of hantavirus virions responsible for hantavirus pulmonary syndrome

Microscopic view of hantavirus virions responsible for hantavirus pulmonary syndrome

Many of these symptoms reflect those of COVID-19, and Haldun said healthcare providers suspected of having a hantavirus case should contact their local health department to report it and discuss testing options.

It is susceptible to most disinfectants and usually survives less than a week indoors and only a few hours outdoors in sunlight.

“We can prevent and reduce the risk of hantavirus infection by taking precautions and being alert for the possibility,” said Dr. Juan Luis Marquez, medical director of the Washington County Health Department.

He recommended that people use rubber, latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves when cleaning rodent-infested areas, ventilate the areas for at least 30 minutes before work and be sure to wet the areas thoroughly with disinfectant or chlorine solution before cleaning.

Advertising


Source link