The popular short video app announced on Wednesday that it would lay off workers in India after “it was not given clear guidance on how and when our apps can be restored.”
“It is deeply regrettable that after more than half a year of supporting our 2,000+ employees in India, we have no choice but to reduce the size of the workforce,” a TikTok spokesman said in a statement.
TikTok, which is owned by Beijing-based ByteDance, did not say how many workers would be affected and did not immediately respond to a request for comment for more details.
And although TikTok said this week that there is “worked constantly to comply” with the authorities in the country, such efforts did not seem to have a small effect.
Source in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology told CNN Business on Wednesday that the government decided to make the ban permanent this week because it was unhappy with the way Chinese companies had dealt with concerns about data collection and security.
“We are constantly striving to make our applications comply with local laws and regulations and are doing our best to address any concerns they may have,” a TikTok spokesman said. “It is therefore disappointing that over the next seven months, despite our efforts, we have not been given clear guidance on how and when our applications can be restored.”
The spokesman added that the company hopes that someday the application will be able to return.
Last August, CEO Daniel Zhang announced that the company had “decided to suspend operations” on UC Browser, a web browsing application and other initiatives in India.
“We do not expect this to have a significant impact on the group’s overall financial performance,” he told analysts during a call for profit, citing a “comprehensive review of the business.”
A UC Browser spokesman declined to comment.
“Tencent complies with all applicable orders and regulations and continues to comply with applicable laws in the jurisdictions in which we operate. We look forward to continuing to focus on our core markets and providing valuable services to our customers,” a spokesman said in a statement. CNN Business. The company declined to provide further details.
Ji Rong, a spokesman for the Chinese embassy in India, reiterated China’s opposition to the ban on Wednesday.
“Since last year, the Indian side has repeatedly used national security as an excuse to ban some mobile applications of Chinese origin. These actions [are] in violation of non-discriminatory WTO principles, “she said.
Meanwhile, geopolitical tensions between India and China continue to boil. On Monday, the Indian military revealed that there had been a “minor” meeting between Indian troops and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army.
The incident took place last Wednesday near a disputed border high in the Himalayas and “was authorized by local commanders according to established protocols,” the Indian military said in a statement.
– Vedika Sud, Steven Jiang, Rishi Iyengar and Manveena Suri contributed to this report.