Officials warn that children and pets should stay away from water bodies in two New York parks after testing positive for the same kind of toxic algae that killed several dogs nationwide this summer.
Water testing in some areas of Central Park in Manhattan and Prospect Park in Brooklyn confirmed the presence of a bacterium capable of producing toxins, according to the New York Department of the Environment (DEC).
Toxic algae appeared at Turtle Pond in Central Park and Prospect Park Lake, where the latest tests earlier this month showed dangerously high levels of toxins, according to the DEC.
TOXIC ALGAE KILLS 3 DOGS HOURS AFTER THE PLAYED IN SORTH CAROLINA POND, OWNER IMAGES
Initial laboratory results from a sample taken at New York's 1
Evidence also suggests that the lake in Central Park may be affected.
In North Carolina, three dogs died earlier this month after swimming in Wilmington Lake and exposure to toxic algae. The owner posted on Facebook that the dogs had "contracted poisoning with blue-green algae" after their swim and that the algae had killed their pets within hours.
Dogs also died in Austin, Texas and Marietta, Ga., After swimming in algae-filled waters. Austin has warned pet owners not to allow their pets to swim in Lady Bird Lake as a result of algae blooms.
ATTENTION OF TOXIC ALGES YOU CAN KILL YOUR DOG
Toxic algae are also appearing in several Lake New Jersey this summer, reported WCBS.
Officials warn that toxic algae can also infect children.
"When enjoying freshwater functions in urban parks, it is important to try to avoid contact with algae and keep pets on leashes and prevent them from entering or drinking from lakes and ponds, except in designated areas. for such activities, "a NYC Parks spokesman said in a statement sent to Fox News.
"Many factors affect algal blooms, including high nutrients, stagnant water, high temperatures and low oxygen content," she continued.
According to the official website of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, flowering plants that produce blue-green algae (BGA), also known as cyanobacteria, can be toxic.
The department warned that BGA blooms should be accepted when water looks like pea soup or green, blue or red paint – or when you see blue or green dirt floating on water surfaces or accumulated along the coastline.
BGA may cause skin and eye irritation from contact, i. E. asthma-like water inhalation symptoms and gastrointestinal and neurological symptoms of ingestion, experts say.
Click here to get the application of FOX NEWS
People exposed to BGA-affected water should wash with clean water and seek medical help if they experience symptoms such as skin irritation, eyes or throat; allergic reactions or difficulty breathing; nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache or fever, according to experts.
James Rogers, Madeline Farber, contributed to this report.