Huawei logo displayed at a Beijing retail store.
Fred Dufour | AFP | Getty Images
President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he did not want to do business with Chinese technology giant Huawei after it was announced over the weekend that the administration plans to extend reimbursement, which allows it to buy parts from US companies.
"I don't want to do business at all because it's a threat to national security," Trump told reporters. "We'll see what happens. I'll decide tomorrow," he added.
The Wall Street Journal and Reuters reported that the Department of Commerce is preparing to extend its license for 90 days, which will allow Huawei to continue its business with US existing customer service companies. This agreement is due to end on Monday.
"We are open not to do business with them," Trump told Huawei.
The Department of Commerce blacklisted Huawei in May after Trump declared a national emergency because of threats to US technology. The blacklist blocks US companies from selling or transferring technology to Huawei unless they are granted a special license.
Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Japan on the sidelines of the G20 summit in June. At the time, Trump and Xi agreed to end the trade war as the two sides sought to restart trade talks. At a news conference after the meeting, Trump said the US would continue to sell the product to Huawei.
"One of the things I'm going to allow is ̵
The White House faces a two-party reaction in Congress over President Huawei's comments following Trump's meeting with Xi. Subsequently, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said the administration did not grant Huawei a general amnesty.
The trade war has also escalated significantly since Trump's June meeting with Xi. The president said earlier this month that the US would impose a 10% tariff on $ 300 billion for goods imported from China. He later postponed some of these fares until December 15 because of concerns about the holiday shopping season.