The Trump administration is preparing lawsuits to begin taking over private land to build its long-promised border wall this week – without confirming how much landowners will pay first, according to two officials familiar with the process.  Jared Kushner is hosting a meeting with military and White House officials this Friday, where they are expected to discuss the US government taking over private land to build more stretches of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, two said employees.
Commander-in-Chief of the Army Corps of Engineers is expected to be Lieutenant General Todd Semonite, as well as two Assistant Secretaries of Defense for the country, Kenneth Rapuano and Robert Salezis.
Attorneys from the Department of Justice and the Department of Defense have prepared entry rights letters informing property owners that government officials will enter their land to evaluate the property, testing
NBC News News & Politics App
Let our news meet you in your inbox. The news and stories that matter are delivered in the mornings on a weekday.
In a typical case of a prominent government, the government consents to money before it takes possession of the land. In the past, the government paid landowners on the Texas-Mexico border $ 100 for 18 months of unlimited, unannounced access, according to Ricky Garza, a lawyer at the Texas Civil Rights Project. The Garza Group represents five Texan land owners whose property is on the road to the planned wall and who oppose its construction.
According to two officials familiar with the process, however, government attorneys can file a law enactment in federal court in Texas that could speed up the government's acquisition of private land along the border.
If the government transcribes this law and its action survives the expected legal challenges, the title will automatically be transferred to the government. The government has to indicate the price it expects to pay, but the real negotiations with landowners on the price start until the land is taken.
The law on a claim for a claim must be reserved for emergencies. Earlier this year, the Trump administration declared the border situation a national emergency. In October, a federal judge ruled that President Donald Trump violated federal law when he used his National Emergency Declaration to withdraw millions of military funding to build the wall. However, the decision does not apply to other sources of funds.
"They probably will eventually get [the land] but they ask the court to cancel the process that is usually offered to landowners," said Garza, a landowner advocate. "We want to make sure that all of our clients are treated with basic human decency and the respect that has been lacking in this administration's past."
Lt. Colonel Chris Mitchell, a spokesman for the Department of Defense, said: "The Department of Defense is considering its options in close consultation with the Department of Justice."
The White House and Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Acting Commissioner for Customs and Border Protection Mark Morgan told reporters Thursday that acquiring land for the border wall was a "challenge" but said: "I still think we are on the way to take the land that is ours needed for 450 miles [of new wall]. "
Morgan also noted that there were lawsuits and" much of the court activity out there, and land acquisition would also not be immune from that. "
He asked how much a new wall was Morgan said, "Every mile of the wall being built is a new mile of the wall." Asked how much a wall was built where no one had existed before, Morgan said the administration had just broken ground in the Rio Grande Valley.
Garza stated that there are hundreds, if not nearly a thousand, of Texas landowners who own land by way of boundary wall plans. Texas' curved border with Mexico is more than 1,200 miles long. Garza added that in Texas, unlike other border states, much of the land along the border is private and passed on through generations of generations.