قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Turkey and Kurds trade accusations as truce in Syria largely | Syria news

Turkey and Kurds trade accusations as truce in Syria largely | Syria news



A fragile ceasefire largely took place on Turkey's border with Syria on Saturday, but clashes between Turkish allies and Kurdish fighters in the Syrian border city of Ras al Ain are reported.

Two countries have accused each other of breaching a ceasefire with the US, two days after Turkey agreed to give Kurdish forces 120 hours to withdraw from the Turkish-Syrian border so that Ankara could form the so-called "safe zone" .

In a press release Saturday, the Turkish Ministry of Defense stated that the army had been attacked and said it had "fully implemented" the ceasefire.

The ministry said there had been 1

4 "provocative attacks" by Kurdish fighters in the past. 36 hours 12 in the city of Ras al-Ain, which has been besieged by Syrian fighters from Turkey for several days.

It said that Kurdish fighters used mortars, rockets, anti-aircraft and anti-tank machine guns. in the attacks, adding that Ankara was in "immediate coordination" with Washington to ensure continuity of calm.

In opposition to the Syrian leadership of the Democrats (SDF), led by the Kurdish parties, said that there were attacks in Ras al Ain by Syrian forces against Prot Turkey and medical personnel could

the SDF commander said that the Turkish army and allied fighters also block people from leaving Ras al-Ain .

"The Turks are preventing the withdrawal from Ras al-Ain area, which prevents our forces, wounded and civilians from leaving," SDF chief Mazloum Abdi said in a telephone interview with AFP news agency.

A senior Turkish official denied that Ankara was blocking their involvement and described the claim as "false information".

Abdi also said that the US was not doing enough to force Turkey to comply with the agreement, adding that it would view the situation as a "plot against our forces".

"If there is no commitment, we will look at the game between the Americans and Turkey – on the one hand, preventing the withdrawal of troops, while on the other, claiming that our forces did not withdraw," Abdi said.

In other news, Turkish President Recep Erdogan said on Saturday that Turkey would continue its offensive and "crush the heads" of Kurdish fighters if the withdrawal deal is not fully executed.

"If it works, it will work. If not, we will continue to crush terrorists' heads as the 120 hours [of the ceasefire] end," Erdogan told supporters in central Kayseri province.

"If the promises made to us are not kept, we will not wait as before and continue the operation where it has stopped after the time we have set has expired,"

waiting for them to enter the city "

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, based in Britain, reported that Turkish-backed Syrian fighters had prevented a medical convoy from reaching Ras al-Ain. It says a medical convoy has been waiting outside the city Friday. Syrian state media claim that Turkish-backed fighters have also made an "attempt to penetrate" south of Ras al-Ain but have been pushed back into clashes with Syrian government forces that have recently moved. In the area. The reports do not provide further details. [19659004] Charles Stratford of Al Jazeera, reporting to the Cey lanpinar on the Turkish side of the border, said the situation in Ras al-Ain was worrying, although the ceasefire was largely taking place in other areas.

"Pro-Syrian Arab fighters have surrounded the city. They say they are letting civilians out, he said.

" But they also say they are continuing talks to persuade Kurdish soldiers trapped in the city, "The SDF says a humanitarian corridor is vital to saving lives," Stratford adds.

He also stated that the withdrawal of SDF forces was continuing in other areas.

Akar and Esper negotiate

Defense Minister Hulusi According to Turkish Defense Ministry, Akar had a telephone conversation with US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper late Friday.

It states that Akar called on Esper to ensure that Kurdish forces withdraw from the area within a 120-hour armistice period and also to ensure that their heavy weapons were collected and fortifications have been destroyed.

Erdogan agreed to a ceasefire on Thursday during talks in Ankara with US Vice President Mike Pence to end the humanitarian crisis that erupted after the start of Turkey's operation on October 9th.

More than 200,000 civilians have fled their homes in northeast Syria since the start of the offensive, according to the Red Cross.

Ankara refers to the YPG, that is, the main Kurdish component of the SDF as a "terrorist group" because of its links with illegal Kurdish fighters operating in southeastern Turkey.

Erdogan said on Friday that the planned 32-km-wide security zone will extend about 440 km along the border, but the US special envoy for Syria said the agreement covers a smaller area where Turkish forces and their forces are fighting Syrian rebel allies.

The Turkish president also stated that Turkey would set up a dozen observation posts in Northeast Syria.


Source link