Sierra Brown, 19, of Fargo, said she suffered numbness in her leg and was unable to walk before being brought to the emergency room at Sanford Medical Center on Sunday, June 9.
The other woman, also 19,
The next day at the hospital with her father Randall Brown in the room, Sierra Brown expressed her worry for the other woman and described her as a childhood friend, turned girlfriend
"All they can tell me is that she's in a coma and she's fighting for her life," she said
The other women's parents asked that their daughter's name be not used and
Randall Brown described the situation as "terrible."
"By the time I got to the hospital, the police were there and it was pretty freaking at that point," he "They had no idea what they were dealing with." 59002] Early Monday morning, he posted about the incident on Facebook, saying teens, young adults and parents should be on alert in case more "laced weed" is on the streets
As of Tuesday evening, June 1
A police spokesperson would only say that at 5:28 pm Sunday, June 9, officers responded to the 1000 block of Third Street North for a medical assistant. They found a 19-year-old woman unresponsive but breathing, and she was taken to the hospital
Police declined to release further information, only that the incident remains under investigation
Randall Brown said based on the symptoms of the two women, the doctors told him, marijuana may have been tainted with rat poison or insecticide, perhaps to mask the smell during transport, or it may have contained a synthetic drug
Dr. Heidi Lako-Adamson, a health officer for Fargo Cass Public Health, said some synthetic drugs are cut or mixed with toxic chemicals, like rat poison, to make the "high" last longer
"This is very dangerous, especially with the the type of marijuana that kids and adults are using these days, "she said.
Sierra Brown said she bought the marijuana in Fargo on the evening of Saturday, June 8, from a person she was familiar with, and went to her girlfriend's
Brown said, when she woke up the next morning, she had no feeling in her right leg. She thought she slept on it wrong and went back to sleep, only to wake up around 2pm. with her leg still numb
At the same time, Brown was unable to wake her friend, but she was not overly concerned because she was a heavy sleeper
A few hours after arriving at the hospital, she received a call
Randall Brown said his doctor said his daughter had dangerously high levels of creatine kinase, or CK, in her system. CK is a type of protein that muscle cells need to function.
"The levels these girls had in their systems were off the charts. They would never see it, "Randall Brown said.
He said his daughter was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.
Dr. Lako-Adamson said the condition causes a breakdown of muscle caused by any number of medical issues, including heart attack, sepsis, and virus, or ingestion of a toxin.
Randall Brown said while he was told CK levels are usually around 100, his daughter's at 26,000 when she was brought in, and her friend's was even more.
He said his daughter's friend took the first hit off the joint that night, followed by his daughter and the third friend who suffered no ill effects
"I do not know if there's any sense to but it would seem like whatever it is was activated by the flame, and probably burns it off very quickly, but they both got a pretty heavy dose, "he said, referring to his daughter and her girlfriend
Dr. Lako-Adamson said people are taking a chance with synthetic drugs, or drugs that could possibly be contaminated by toxic chemicals. "We do not know about this until someone dies or is very sick," she said.
Sierra Brown is expected to leave the hospital this week and will be sent with a walker due to her weakness in her legs.
He said his daughter could have a prescription for medical marijuana, based on several conditions, including post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety disorder
Even though medical marijuana was approved by North Dakota voters in 2016, it was slow to become available in the state.
Instead of seeking medical marijuana, his daughter buys can off the streets to cope with her conditions, he said.
Randall Brown also thinks there is probably more of the tainted marijuana out there
"I do not think this is the last we're gonna hear of this, "he said.