The luxury features of an SUV include a 400hp engine, plug-in hybrid, telephone as a key, air suspension and hole prediction
Mark Felan, Detroit Free Press Autocrat
After two weeks of voting with little drama or controversy, UAW workers ratified their four-year contract with Ford with 56.3% of the vote, the UAW announced on Friday night.  The union announced the percentage without specific numbers after members completed the national vote at 7.30pm.
"Every Ford employee and temporary employee will be the highest on a full-time basis at the end of this four-year agreement, "said UAW incumbent President Rory Gamble, who is the director of the UAW-Ford division, in a prepared statement. "This is a life changing contract for many and provides a template for all future Ford UAW full-time, highest-status members. There will be no more permanent temporary situations and no more permanent levels. "
He added:" Ford's commitment to work safety and assembly in the United States is a model for American manufacturers. "
Workers inspect Ford F-150 trucks under construction at the Ford Rouge plant in Dearborn on Thursday, September 27, 2018 (Photo: Ryan Garza, Detroit Free Press)
Ford has more UAW members than any other U.S. automaker. About 55,000 workers are covered by the deal.
"We are pleased that we were able to reach an agreement quickly with the UAW without costly interruption of production," says Joe Hinrichs, president of Ford, Automotive, in a prepared statement. This deal helps Ford increase our competitiveness and protect well-paid manufacturing jobs. Working with the UAW, we have added flex capability to our operations while keeping labor costs in line with projected U.S. labor cost inflation and still rewarding our workers for their important contributions to the company. "
On Monday, the UAW begins the process of finalizing its negotiated model with Fiat Chrysler, a six-week strike against General Motors, which ended with ratification on October 25, and negotiated a treaty through Thanksgiving, which is atypical.
The 2019 UAW contract with Ford includes $ 6 billion of promised "major product investment" in US facilities and the creation and preservation of more than 8,500 jobs, with 19 pledges promised for investment.
The Treaty also does not include changes in workers' share of health care costs, a $ 9,000 ratification bonus and $ 3,500 for temporary workers.
More: Bonuses Ford, GM retirees have been missing for years in new UAW contracts
More: UAW for the sale of lavish up Former President of the North Cabin as part of the ethics sweep Bernie Rike, President of the UAW Local 600 near the Rouge plant, said its 14,000 active members look to the future, investment, products and jobs . "The process went well," he said Friday. "I think we did a good job explaining the agreement to our members. I'm proud of the work we've done."
Mike Rinaldi, then president of the UAW Local 600, stands on the sign in front of his headquarters of Dix and points to the Ford Rouge plant in 1983. (Photo: Ira Rosenberg, Detroit Free Press)
It is a fact that Ford negotiators have accomplished many of the goals outlined by UAW, said Kristin Jicek, Vice President of Industry, Labor and Economics at the Ann Arbor Center for Automotive Research. "They wanted progressive workers to reach parity and do so. Temporary workers were given a full-time job and there was a limit to the number of temporary workers hired. They were losing nothing in healthcare. And they received a whole bunch of detailed investments."  Companies usually ask for contracts ratified by 50% plus 1 vote because it shows that each country has abandoned what was needed, she said on Friday.
Harley Shaken, a professor at Berkeley University of California who specializes in labor and closely monitors UAW's activities, said Friday: "Ford's ratification is no surprise. This reflects a lot of hard work. There is a strong relationship between the company and the UAW – with experienced, intelligent negotiators on both sides. "
Beyond healthcare, investment in plants and the ratification bonus, here are some of the highlights of the treaty:
- a salary increase of 3% in the second and fourth years; 4% of lump sums calculated on the basis of the basic payment given in alternate years
- Current temporary workers receive a path to permanent employment with the potential to reach the highest wage rate during the contract.
- The profit-sharing formula is maintained.
- A pension contribution of $ 1,000. dollars in Dan hourly effective savings plan for hourly employees for employees hired or retired before November 19, 2007 or in a qualified classification before October 24, 2011.
- Retirement incentive of $ 60,000 for manufacturing workers and up to 200 skilled trades.  Qualified Transactions receive two lump sums of $ 1,000 in 2019 and 2021.
- Retirement Employee Assistance Packages in Romeo.
- Moratorium on outsourcing and business closure.
- Commitment to a Flat Rock Sustainability Strategy for a New Product. The south of Detroit plant is projected to invest $ 250 million.
- The buffalo seal will receive an investment of $ 60 million, but stamping will be transferred for the F-150 and Super Duty. The contract summary emphasizes that commitment to the enterprise and "providing future opportunities for the enterprise" are noted.
- The so-called progressive workers hired after 2007 receive a faster path to the highest pay. Under the previous contract, these workers, starting at $ 17 an hour, will reach $ 28 an hour after eight years. According to the proposal, this has been reduced to four years.
Ford noted in a news release on Friday that the company "will spend $ 700 million in its fourth quarter tied to a new agreement, mainly related to the ratification bonus." The agreement covers UAW hourly employees at Ford's manufacturing facilities in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois and New York.
The terms of the new agreement provide Ford with opportunities to improve its production and operational suitability, the company said. , including:
- Increased use of temporary agents.
- Closure of the Romeo Engine Plant in the Detroit Subway, improving utilization of the production capacity of the powertrains, while offering work to all workers in a nearby plant.
- Special pension program that will improve labor force composition, lower labor costs.
- No increase in pension obligations or payments to retirees.
Read or share this story: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford / 2019/11/15 / UAW-Ford-treaty-ratification / 4201440002 /