Over the weekend, to this day, the Ebola municipality of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has grown by 19 cases, with US government officials who recently visited the hearth area expressing their support not only for the reaction to the outbreak but for the whole country the country's health system.
Over the weekend, a U.S. government delegation including Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Robert Redfield, MD, and the National Institute of Allergy and Director of Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Anthony Fauchi, MD, visited the Ebola Treatment Center in Butembo.
Officials were accompanied by Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Hebraeus, and UN Emergency Response Coordinator David Gresley.
Officials Share Their Impressions
According to a statement in the HHS press release, the group monitors infection prevention and control measures, spoke to patients with health care providers for patients, and heard from Ebola respondents and health professionals about the challenges who are confronted with mistrust in the community and security issues in the area.
The visit also includes discussions with local community leaders, including representatives of the women's association, trade group and cultural groups.
Azar says in a statement on September 1
In a media test today, Azar and other US officials, including some from the State Department, shared their impressions from the visit. Azar said after observing patient care and meeting with healthcare professionals at the Ebola Treatment Center, "I cannot exaggerate the importance of the two therapists." The drugs are REGeneron's REGN-EB3, a cocktail of antibodies and mAB114, an antibody treatment developed by a DRC patient who survives Ebola during an earlier outbreak.
Azar added that employees witnessed that patients treated with the medication were discharged from Ebola by the medical unit on their recovery. "It's a radical change from where we've been," he said.
Although epidemic responders are making progress, especially with community engagement, basic public health practices such as contact tracing are not yet at the levels where you need to be, Azar added.
Redfield said that although cases have declined in recent weeks, employees will not feel confident in the trend until they see a change in key metrics. He added that the death toll in the community is still too high and the number of contacts and patients isolated early is still too low.
Prior to his visit to Butembo, senior US officials also met with DRC President Felix Tissekedi in Kinshasa and Jean-Jacques Muembe, Ph.D., head of the DRC Multisectoral Reaction Commission (CMRE), as well as DRC's newly-appointed Health Minister, Eteni Longondo, MD The group traveled to Rwanda yesterday to meet with President Paul Kagame and other senior officials.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) previously announced nearly $ 158 million in funding for the Ebola epidemic, support that also helps Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan and Uganda raise their defenses against the virus.
New cases from smaller hot spots
In the development of the epidemic, the DRC confirmed 4 new cases today, with a total of 3,129 cases, according to the numbers reflected in the WHO Ebola Dashboard. Authorities are still investigating 475 suspected cases.
In the last few days, 18 more deaths have been reported, with this number being 2 095.
In the updates of September 14 and yesterday, the DRC CMRE added more details about 15 of the most recent cases. The locations reflect current activity at many of the smaller hot spots. These include Mandima (6 cases), Command (2), Mambasa (2), Biena (1), Kalunguta (1), Katwa (1), Kayna (1) and Oicha (1).
Of the 10 deaths. covered by the two CMRE reports, 9 occurred at Ebola Centers and 1 in the community in Fatherland.
September 14 HHS press release
September 13 HHS press release
WHO Online Ebola Dashboard
Updated September 14, CMRE