- American technology entrepreneur Jennifer Arkuri admitted that she has a relationship with Boris Johnson, in an interview with the Daily Mail.
- The relationship between Johnson, 56, came under public scrutiny when it was revealed that the 33-year-old Arkuri had benefited from thousands of pounds of public money, including funds from the London mayor’s promotional agency.
- She also joined the trade missions in New York and Tel Aviv after interventions from Johnson’s office, although she did not meet the criteria for these trips.
- However, the prime minister avoided a criminal investigation after police surveillance could not find evidence of his influence on money and travel.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
American technology entrepreneur Jennifer Arkuri admitted that he had previously had an affair with Boris Johnson after allegations that he used his then position as mayor of London to get a favorable attitude towards her.
Asked if she had an affair with the prime minister while he was with his then-wife Marina Wheeler, Arkuri replied: “I think that goes without saying … It̵
Their relationship came under public scrutiny when it was revealed that Arcuri had benefited from thousands of pounds of public money, including funds from the London mayor’s promotional agency, London and Partners (L&P).
She also joined the trade missions in New York and Tel Aviv after interventions from Johnson’s office, although she did not meet the criteria for these trips.
However, the prime minister avoided a criminal investigation after the police supervisor could not find evidence of his influence on money and travel.
Arcuri previously said that after the couple’s meeting in 2011, the then mayor made up to 10 visits to his home office in Shoreditch and spoke for free at four events organized by its start-up company Ino tech, the Evening Standard reported.
The Guardian added that in an interview in Kentucky, where she is currently visiting the family, Arkuri also discussed being bombarded by Johnson’s “avalanches of passion”.
“I cared for him very deeply at the time, but I never used the L-word. I wouldn’t recognize that I was in love. I cared a lot about this man and I think that’s very clear. That’s all I want to say. “, she said.
The prime minister evaded a criminal investigation after the Independent Police Behavior Service (IOPC) failed to find evidence of its influence on the money given to Accuri or its involvement in trade mission trips.
He added that he was unable to determine the nature of the relationship between the two. It states that there was a “close relationship” and that they “may have been intimate” during the investigation period.
Although their 112-page report found that it would be “reasonable” for Johnson to declare a conflict of interest, if he did not, it could violate the “Nolan principles” or ethical standards expected of government officials.
Addressing the issue in May, a spokesman for the prime minister said: “We welcome the fact that this politically motivated complaint has been rejected. Such annoying allegations of indecency in governance have been false and unfounded.
“An independent review by the government’s Internal Audit Agency also showed that the Labor Party’s allegations were untrue. This is not a police issue and we consider it a waste of police time.”
Arkuri also denied any financial irregularities and told the Daily Mail: “They claim that I have earned financially from my friendship with Boris … It is not true.”