WESTERN CITY, Utah – A Utah man is on livelihood after vaping gave him a lipoid pneumonia, his family said.
His wife, Tiffany Bills, says doctors at Jordan Valley Hospital believe the guilt is to blame.
Recently, the Utah Department of Health has launched an investigation into the accumulation of serious cases of lung disease, possibly related to vaping. As of Monday, those cases have doubled in Utah.
"It happened out of nowhere, that's for sure," Tiffany said. "They have had four other cases ̵
Sean and Tiffany vapor daily for two years. About ten days ago, the otherwise healthy father of three knew something was wrong.
"Beginning with shortness of breath and pain and unable to breathe. That's why he's in a coma right now because he can't breathe on his own, "says Tiffany.
Tiffany stated that this was a lipoid pneumonia, probably caused by the inhalation of fat particles.
" These are the juices that probably cause, "Tiffany said, holding four bottles of juice.
The Utah Department of Health said there were now ten cases of severe pulmonary disease, possibly related to vaping. That number increased from five reported cases on Monday.
Across the country, more than 100 people have developed similar problems the ster became so alarming, the Centers for Disease Control is investigating.
Tiffany quit vaping when her husband was admitted to the hospital. She hopes others will do the same.
"Stop it," Tiffany said. " Stop right before it gets worse. I mean, it's not worth your life. "
A GoFundMe account has been created to help increase medical costs and can be found here.