Electronic cigarettes have been increasing over the last five years. Many have had the impression that they are a safer alternative to cigarettes, but this may not be true. According to NBC, a 17-year-old boy's jaw crashed after an electronic cigarette accident. electronic cigarettes. As they used it, the electronic cigarette exploded and killed several teeth and smashed his jaw. His mother explained that the family lived in rural Nevada and was forced to drive five hours to the nearest hospital that could heal his trauma. "This child had severe damage to the lower jaw, as well as burns around his lips," says Dr. Katie Russell, one of the traumatologists treating Adams. "He does not recall in advance that he has done anything wrong with the device, and it just explodes." the batteries they use in fear of overheating. FDA says electronic cigarettes explode when the lithium-ion battery inside the pen overheats. Jonathan Skirko, a nose and throat pediatric surgeon who helped Adams, said the explosion broke all through the boy's gums. "The tissue has evaporated," says Dr. Skirko.