The Great American Beer Festival in 2020 was unlike any other since its founding in 1982, thanks to the pandemic that forced the country’s largest beer extravaganza to be canceled. However, this did not prevent the virtual beer competition, one of the most prestigious in the country, from taking place in practice.
Colorado put on a delightful show, winning 26 medals, including eight gold. The biggest winner in the state was Cannonball Creek Brewing Co. of Golden, which won gold for its pale ale hairdresser and two bronze medals for Vladimir Brutin and Let’s Talk About Mex lager, which qualified in the India pale ale and international style cream categories, respectively.
“Feather was the first beer we ever won a medal for eight years ago,” said Jason Stengle, co-owner and general manager. “I am proud of all of us, I am proud of my colleagues, my partner and my brewers. This is something we are all very proud of. “
CONNECTED: 35 breweries in Colorado take home medals at the Great American Beer Fest 2019
Denver Beer Co. was awarded two prizes: gold for Amburana Dream, a wooden imperial porter made at its location in Arvada, and silver for Amburana Graham Cracker Porter, another beer from the wooden years.
Colorado also dominates the American-style sour category, where Golden’s New Terrain Brewing Co. won a silver medal for a beer called Mirage, and New Belgium Brewing Co. of Fort Collins won bronze for its sour IPA.
“With everything that happened in 2020, Colorado breweries still managed to show up and brew world-class beer,” said Shawnee Adelson, executive director of the Colorado Brewers’ Guild. “It’s also great to see some people who have never won a prize before they can step up – Sanitas, Seedstock, Living the Dream – which shows our diversity in terms of size and ability to brew amazing beer.”
In three weeks, judges assessed more than 8,800 beers from breweries across the country as they wore face shields and physically distanced themselves, but it was clear that the pandemic played a role in the breweries’ involvement. More than 1,700 beer producers took part in this year’s competition, compared to nearly 2,300 in 2019.
Last year, Colorado breweries won an impressive 40 medals in the competition.
Here are the other winners in Colorado from Friday’s awards ceremony, listed by category, brewery, city and beer name.
- Fruit wheat beer – Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, Lilikoi Kepolo
- Strong beer aged from wood and barrels – Denver Beer Co., Arvada, Amburan Dream
- American Amber Camp – Wibby Brewing, Longmont, Volksbier Vienna
- Maerzen in German style – Irwin Brewing Co., Crested Butte, Amber’s Lager-Amber Lager
- American style Pale Ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Gold, Hairdressing pale ale
- Juicy or misty pale ale – Blue Moon Brewing Co., Denver, Moon Fog
- Irish-style Red Ale – Mirror Image Brewing Co., Frederick, Balefire Irish Red
- Altbier in German style – Red Leg Brewing Co., Colorado Springs, Amber Howitzer
- Polish beer – Dry Dock Brewing Co.-North Dock, Aurora, Bligh coconut barley
- Chili beer – Brewery in Colorado, Denver, Poblano Pills
- Historic beer – Seedstock Brewery, Denver, Seedstock Gratzer
- Isle of American Belgo style – Ratio Beerworks, Denver, dear
- American style Sour Ale – New Terrain Brewing Co., Golden, Mirage
- Brett Beret mixed culture – Sanitas Brewing Co., Boulder, Déluge
- Aged beer from wood and barrels – Denver Beer Co., Denver, Amburana Graham Cracker Porter
- Pilsner in German style – Prost Brewing Co., Denver, Simple Pills
- American style Strong Pale Ale – Comrade Brewing Co., Denver, Superpower IPA
- American style Amber / Red el – Zuni Street Brewing Co., Denver, Amber with the ease of Justin
- Ale in Scottish style – Goat Patch Brewing Co., Colorado Springs, takes the Red Ale tribe
- Fruit wheat beer – Storm Peak Brewing Co., Steamboat Springs, afternoon delight
- Herb and beer spice – Experience the dream Brewing Co., Littleton, Powder Run
- Experimental India Pale Ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Zlaten, Vladimir Brutin
- American style Sour Ale – New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, sour IPA
- Cream Ale in American style – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Let’s talk about Mexico
- International Pale Ale – Our mutual friend Brewing Co., Denver, Interior Light
- Stout – The Post Brewing Co., Lafayette, Dry Stout
See the full list of GABF 2020 winners.
CONNECTED: You only have to spend $ 20 to attend GABF this year. This is how.
Subscribe to our Stuffed Food Newsletter to receive Denver food and beverage news directly in your inbox.