A woman in Israel became the first person to receive "broken heart syndrome" from food after mistaking a large wasabi stain for a normally sized portion of harmless avocado.
A woman showed up in the emergency room with chest pains after attending a wedding in the late sixties, doctors reported in BMJ Case Reports 2019. At the party, she saw what she thought was an avocado on the table and ate some. Unfortunately, as her taste buds confirmed, and her chest pains later confirmed, this was actually a "large amount" – about the size of a teaspoon – wasabi paste ("hot" Japanese root vegetable)
Five minutes later she began to feel a sudden pressure in her chest, which was radiating into her hands. This continued for several hours, but she decided to stay at the wedding and eventually the pain began to die. However, the next day she felt uncomfortable and weak, so she sought medical attention.
Doctors rejected heart failure, but an ECG showed dysfunction in her left ventricle. She had "broken heart syndrome".
"Takocubo cardiomyopathy, also known as heart failure syndrome," is a left ventricular dysfunction that usually occurs in adult women after sudden intense emotional or physical stress, "explain the authors of the case
temporarily affects the heart's ability to pump blood around your system effectively, causing symptoms similar to those of a heart attack. It was first documented more than 20 years ago by Japanese researchers. It is usually caused by severe psychological or physical stress and is first recognized in women who have experienced an emotional traumatic event, such as the death of a spouse, although it has also been documented in people who experience any emotional trauma. A 61
His official name is also of unusual significance. "The left ventricle shows global dilation with basal contraction, forming the shape of a narrow-bodied jar used in Japan to capture octopus (Takutsubo)."
Researchers suggest that this is the first time a condition has been caused solely by food consumption. Previous reports have described food-related tacosubo as caused by anaphylaxis (a serious allergic reaction), not the food itself.
"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of tacobub cardiomyopathy caused by wasabi consumption," the study authors said.
The condition is considered rather benign – though complications such as pulmonary edema and arrhythmia. it may occur – and the woman recovers well after being treated with ACE inhibitors and beta blockers. It was released and fully restored within a month.