UNCASVILLE, Connecticut – Cat Zingano’s Bellator debut took longer than she could have expected, but it turned out to be worth the wait.
The popular former UFC light heavyweight title contender, who signed with Bellator last October, was the winner of Friday’s Bellator 245 joint bout as he defeated Gabriel Holloway by unanimous decision. Zingano (11-4 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) ran through the first two rounds, then held a rally from the third round before regaining control and holding on to victory. The judges’ scores were 29-27, 30-26 and 30-26.
“I wanted it to be a quick night, no one wants to stay here for all 1
The match was to be contested in the light heavyweight division, but Holloway missed a weight on Thursday, reaching 150.7 pounds.
The first two rounds were a simple equation, as Zingano scored, then used top and side controls to dominate most rounds. An advantage of 60-5 with significant shots in the first 10 minutes tells the story.
Holloway (6-6 MMA, 1-3 BMMA) had her moments in the third round as she managed to turn the ground position, then rained her elbows from the top position for most of the minute. But Zingano managed to regain control and ended the battle, pouring blows from the highest position.
Zingano landed 31 knees in the course of the battle to zero for Holloway and scored five knocks on Holloway.
The victory, in her first battle since December 2018, was the second in Zingano’s last three battles and her third victory in the career decision. Holloway lost for the fourth time in their last five games.
Bellator 245 takes place Friday at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. The main card is broadcast on Paramount and streamed to DAZN after previews by MMA Junkie.
Actual results of Bellator 245:
- Cat Zingano defeats Gabriel Holloway by unanimous decision (29-27, 30-26, 30-26)
- Taylor Johnson defeated Ed Ruth by passing (heel hook) – Round 1, 0:59
- Raymond Daniels vs. Peter Stanonik, No Race (Involuntary Groin Strike) – Round 2, 1:00
- Alex Polizzi defeated Rafael Carvalho by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Leslie Smith defeated Amanda Bell by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tyrell Fortune vs. Jack May, no race (accidentally knee to groin) – Round 1, 2:44
- Keith Lee defeated Vinicius Zani by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)